Empathy Vs. Condescension (Edited)
Ariel
Which DISNEY character are you most like?
brought to you by Quizilla<>a>
Why is my shit postin my times all wrong? Fix me!
I got this off Kathi's site. You know, that cool white lady you seen on all the black blogs. I'll link it up later, I like her. Anyways, Ariel has been my nig since I was two, so I already knew I was gonna get her on this here quiz. You see, I was even a gay two year old, watching this movie EVERY morning and wishing I was "part of that world". My mom should have had no question.
But anyways, enough of the maid. One of the issues I had today was empathy vs condescension and when is the line crossed? Is there a line?
Let me give yall the background. As a child I was always empathetic for people less fortunate than me. I would get in trouble for giving my whole allowance to my poor friends and I would attempt to give my Christmas presents away to people that didn't get that many. Believe you me, I am NOT that nice now, but I still hold some of that with me. One time, after a Boy Scouts camping trip [woo, that was a failed attempt at making me more into "boy things" and less into "girl things" like theater] I saw this homeless man standing on the corner with a sign. I immediately BEGGED my mom, tears streamin, to let me bring him some Pizza Hut [still my favorite pizza, big baybeeeh!] So my mom bought ME some Pizza Hut, and got the homeless man an apple from her little lunch bag. On the way back from Pizza Hut, we stopped by the spot the homeless man was standing by to give him the apple and he was gone. I was a cryin' mess. My mom tried to convince he was an angel and I was going to be blessed. And I believed her.
For a few years.
And now, I'm eighteen and I'm much more self-centered. I still enjoy helping people, but if I can't help everyone, my world isn't ending.
This morning [as I was up earlier than a prepubuscent orgasm doing an essay], the janitor came into the computer lab. He looked really sick, and already being old and overweight, he didn't need to be doing strenuous labor, so I picked up all the paper that people left on the floor. I was prepared to shake my head at the mess on the floor until I realized that some of the gum wrappers were my own. I picked up the mess he couldn't pick up and put it in his trash can as he thanked me. I looked him in the eye, and I didn't know what I was seeing.
Was he happy as a custodian? This couldn't be where he saw himself in life, could it? Was my helping him condescension or empathy? When a black, middle class student feels sorry for and reaches out to help a white poverty [assuming, but not trying to make an ass out of me or u] stricken elderly man, which is it: help or hurt?
I don't know, I just felt like I could be possibly like the mayor's wife on The Color Purple. She genuintely thinks she is helping blacks and being non-racist but she is really being condescending and racist in her "helpful" tactics".
Let ME Know.
*Janet Jackson on All For You voice* EDIT!
Rent Part II
So I went and saw Rent again, and this time I brought along three people who hadn't seen it before. It was much more enjoyable this time around, as I thought I could anticipate my favorite parts (hell almost the whole movie is my favorite part) and already get ready for the parts I'm bout to cry on.
I was dead wrong.
Tell me why I was gettin emotional and they hadn't even sung one word yet? Something about this movie just really speaks to me and makes me FEEL the characters and get to love them. I just knew I was going to be a mess by the end.
At the end of the movie, I looked around. My girl Lisa was sobbing like it was Oprah's series finale. On the left of me is Cody and Blair who are weeping silently, tryna be strong, but you know they needed to just let it all out. And me in the middle of them all, cryin reminescent of a hearing-abled person at a Mary J Blige concert [she screams; don't FRONT!] and scolding all my friends on "bein such gay ass pussies up in here!" LOL.
The thing about Rent is that it represents so many issues that I've been dealing with and supressing emotionally; the movie only served to bring out these issues and allow me to release. For example, my childhood best friend. Grew up with this girl since we were TWO! She loves Rent even more than I do. However, when asked about it she always has to preface it with "although I don't approve of the homosexuality...I love..." And I think that is fucked up. After all her years of knowing me, and after seeing these real characters she fell in love with, she still has to preface it with that. I was thinking about that as I watched the movie today. I was thinking about my mom and why she won't watch the movie. And how she wants me to change. And how she wants me to live some Donny McClurklin fake fairy tale lie of becoming a heterosexual and being "delivered" from homosexuality. So that weighed heavily on the emotional side of watching the film, in addition to the emotional effects that the movie causes.
As the credits ended, we all looked at each other. "We are so fuckin' gay", I said lovingly and honestly as we stood up to exit the theater.

9 Comments:
Ok...I'm laughing at this post - not because of the post itself, but the time stamp is 1:17 A.M...Now I KNOW I can tell time, but it's 3:46 PST - where the fuck ARE you? THE MOON?? Because this post wasn't here earlier - and I know this because I was here ealier and didn't see it!!
Ok, so on to your blog (I'm feeling rather bloated from polishing off the last 4 of the egg rolls I made the other night!) I think your gesture was nice...and I often wonder about aged people doing jobs like security officers and shit like that. When I know we pay our security comany $10 an hour for each guard, I know they prolly get $7 - and these men have grown ass kids (like yourself) to support. I dunno sweetie...in your case, I'm sure your intention wasn't to be condescending and I doubt it was taken that way....
i dont know what to do to fix it, tam!im more LOST than an abc tv show!
Well, Ariel, I have to give you props because lawd knows I would've sat my ig'nant ass there and not picked up a damn thing. I'm playin, I probably would've done the same...maybe. Either way, you should not feel like you were condescending him simply because you offered him assistance. It is more of an empathetc deed than anything. Do not feel bad, Ariel. Now had you sat there and watched him struggle for a while and THEN finally helped him out...that might be a lil different.
I'm most like Minnie Mouse - lovable and my friend love to flock to me!
I didn't get pass this survey so I'll have to come back to finish reading the rest tomorrow, lol!
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
First, Thank you.
Darlin', you've got what is called a sensitive spirit. You are blessed to have a heart for others. You reminded me of a story I read on another blog (http://www.granomad.blogspot.com/):
Progress won’t happen overnight, but it’s a bit like the bloke they found on the beach after hundreds of starfish had beached themselves up on the sand. (Or stranded themselves up on the beach.) He was throwing the stranded starfish back into the water, one at a time. A bloke went up to him and asked, “Hey, what are you doing? There’s millions of them on the beach. What difference can you make?” The stranger threw another one into the water and said with confidence, “Sure made a difference to that one.”
And for whatever difference it makes to you...you made a huge difference to me on a morning I desperately needed it.
Secondly, the time thing ~ when you write your post, right above where you click 'publish', there's the line that has the time you're posting. You can change it to what you want. If you have problems, e me at kfmb@comcast.net, and I'll help you. You also need to go into your set up of blogspot and change your time settings so that you won't have to correct it each time you write your post.
Hug's
HEY U...it's ME again...here we go with the run-on posts again! HAHAHA!!! Gotta love u for it tho!!
LMAO @ "We are so fuckin gay!" That's the funniest shit I've heard this morning...(more on the funnies of today on my blog - shameless plug) OK, so I definitely need to see Rent...but I don't know if I can manage to drag Mack in there with me...he's kinda funny about that shit...yanno...the macho man type - and I CERTAINLY ain't tryin to hear his mouth or have him leave me up in there by myself! HAHAHA - which that nigga WOULD do! He's such an ass!
Anyhoo...As much as I know you love your mother and seek SOME level of approval (as we all do in various ways), you may need to come to a point in your life (and I realize that you're young - it WILL COME) where you just have to continue being YOU...the beautiful, wonderful YOU that YOU are. At some point (we hope) your mother will stop tryin to beat you down with her opinions (such as living the false life of Donny McClurkin - I'm sorry, his ass is still GAY to me...got my gaydar workin overtime). One day she will respect you for being true to yourself and living your life FOR YOU...and no one else...
Awww....((((group hug)))) ::sniff, sniff:: Ok...moving on...you'll be aiight...I can tell by your spirit...keep being you...
Tam
thanks everyone for the kind comments. i will be doin the rounds and readin everyone new posts shortly. life is hectic!
ALRIGHT, I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY BOY AT TWO, WHO LOVED THE LITTLE MERMAID. My parents gave the tape to my god mom so I could only watch it while over her house.(LOL)
-Marz
Post a Comment
<< Home