web page hit counter [Rebellion Lies]: To Nigger Or Not To Nigger

[Rebellion Lies]

The comedic, spiritual, and dramatic journey of an aspiriing young Black artist who has finally escaped the confounds of Hicktown, TX, USA to the opportunities that await him in Austin. But damnit if he still doesn't want out of Texas period!

2.21.2006

To Nigger Or Not To Nigger



...Since I laid my burdens down!

I feel betta! So much betttttta!


[Chicago: Does Anybody Know What Time It Is]

So, while still some issues remain, it's a new week! There's been a change in weather...it's a rain-filled week and the troubles of yesterday are being washed away.

I feel like Rupaul after the surgery! Let me not get too happy though before I jinx myself. Many good things are blossoming as spring approaches and I'm excited. I might have to take a road trip to NYC during spring break. Who am I staying with? Yall think Im playin. LOL!

OK, so I was told by several people that my liberal use of the word "nigger" on here has been offensive or at least semi-bothersome.

I'm sure you're tired of the whole "But it's a different context!!" argument...the same one that got Ludacris edited out of Oprah during the Crash episode.

While I am considering your feelings on the matter, consider the author- an irreverent 18 year old to whom "nigger" was a negative word of the past...a word that he is attempting to retool to its original meaning.

When I say someone was acting like a nigger, yes, it is usually in reference to a loud black person or a black person acting in an unfavorable manner. However, what I fail to see is what is wrong with using the word in the 2006 context I'm using it in.

I don't know, maybe it is disrespectful to use the word when some of my audience is more mature people who have actually had the word used against them in the Jim Crowe context.

Poll: Should Charles X censor the word "nigger" from his blog in his usual joking context?

Your answers will be respected and taken into consideration...that doesn't mean yall niggers will get yalls way though. LMAO just kidding.



So in my rush to get school work done, my show filmed, resumes filled out, friendships fulfilled, and other things like that I realized I let the quality of my posts slip... I really need to start balancing personal posts with funny posts more...Do yall miss the Oprah episodes? LOL! Things will change - the rainy season has arrived!

23 Comments:

At 6:53 AM, Blogger Mrs A. said...

hmmmmm, first, i think you should post whatever you want on your blog-its yours! and for those who dont like it, they have the choice of not returning (altho that does suck). but i feel you-nonetheless im not bothered, sticks and stones....p.s. what ya gonna do in NY for spring break??? hang out, anything specific??

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Don't Oppress Me said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Don't Oppress Me said...

Simply, no I don't think you should stop using the word. You may want to skip the following:

The difference between said ‘2006 Nigger,’ and ‘Jim Crow Nigger’ is that the racial balances have changed. The same weight that is given to Nigger is not given to Nigga, which in and of itself has an oxymoronic value. The paradigm has shifted, if you will.

Differences now are based on more substantial, endearing things like culture, or politic. Rather than something as fleeting and contextually malleable as race.
In order for there to be a pragmatic solution to this ‘problem’ there needs to be a systematic disinclination of said terms, simply because it is no longer revolutionary or taboo, its just really really funny, or really really hurtful depending on which side of that paradigm one falls on.

Also, it is important to remember that one’s archetypical perspective can change.
For example as a young black man, if a white man called me a nigger I’d react differently, than if you were to say it, there is an endearing commonality there, linked to race, of course but there, none the less.
And plus ’The word’ is all over my blog as I type this, so I can’t say shit…

Wow. Look at me sounding all educated and shit.
I would say more, but my head is starting to hurt from all this thinking, which I try to avoid! LOL!
And what the hell is that in you mouth? I hope its not what I think it is! [Just Playin']

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Omar Ramon said...

"The word that come from ya mouth you're the first to hear" if you'r comfy wit wat ya say , it's ya right t say it..if you're catering to an audience, ya might wanna tone it down a bit. I'll keep reading ya blog either way.

I live right outside NY in jersey. like 35 minutes away...so if ya need a place to lay ya head, holla.

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said...

I feel you should say whatever you think. If you feel like saying it...say it.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger WATER said...

Charles X in NYC watch OUT! :-)

My New Story is Up!

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Marz said...

From my personal experiences only hicks say "nigger", black people say, " nigga". I think it was how many times oyu said it. But what I was commenting on was when you were calling females out their names. "bitches these days" when referring to Bo-D's girlfriend. But whatever.

UMMM. Spring break is supposed to be in Florida, or somewhere tropical. BUt again, WHATEVER. LOL



-Marz

 
At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"A slave who referred to himself or another black as a "nigger" presumably accepted the subordinate role that was his unfortunate lot and, therefore, posed no threat to white authority."
It's your blog and a free country so type what you please
It's funny. How come white people don't greet each oterh with "What up Honkey?" Or Chinese people saying "how you doing my gook?"

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Ya boy Maurice said...

It doesnt offend me! I agree with Marz, there is a difference between NIgger and Nigga... Like Charles x IS MY NIGGAH...

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger ShawnQt said...

sometimes the more you say "it", the more it loses its meaning...

sometimes the more you say "it", the more angry people become...

hey, you decide!

make sure u look me up when u come to NYC!

 
At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dont like the n-word period. but its your blog and i still find your post interesting.
and i do miss the oprah shows. thats how i got introduced to your blog! just 1 thing...no more akeys bashing! haha! i know that wont happen. but yes bring back oprah!

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Superstar Nic said...

LOL, Charles, Charles, Charles…you know I read your blog because it is so funny. What’s make you so funny is because you are free to be yourself. You should not censor yourself on your own shit!!! Did I just say shit?

I also agree with Marz on this one. I say ‘nigga’ sometimes. When I say “that’s my nigga right there”, it is the same as saying “that’s my boy right there”.

Long story short….I don’t mind a bit. I’m not offended very easily (smile).

 
At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it's kind of hard to focus on your liberal use of the N-word when you have, what I hope, is french toast in your mouth.

Anywho, while I personally don't use the word, I see no point in censoring yourself. Yes, it has a bad history that we all know about it, but hey, if you, Luda, and Terrence feel you can embrace the word and make it an endearing term, go for it.

Payce!

 
At 1:15 AM, Blogger D-Place said...

Ok here I come with something a little different. You definetely have the right to say whatever you want on your blog. I know a lot of people think that by using the word makes it less painful. Does that also mean that it's ok for someone who is not Black to say it to you? If it is then go right ahead. If it isn't then I guess the word really isn't less painful now is it?

It is not a new thing for Black people to say it to each other. That's been around for years long before most of yall even reading this blog were born. At the same time...those were times when the civil rights movements were happening and maybe it was to defuse the word with each other. Like a defense mechanism so that when called it it wouldn't hurt so much. You can let someone non black call you a nigga if you want. Not me.

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger D-Place said...

Oh yeah even if non black people aren't saying Nigga...doesn't mean they aren't thinking it.

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Bougie Black Boy said...

I think that it's a deep-rooted, self-hatred issue that WE, as black americans, fail to realize--thus we call each other "niggers". I think it's a Pathetically interesting topic. The idea of taking "control" of the word, is still yet a lame excuse, and in my opinion exemplifies the lack of a larger vocabulary. And, from reading your blog before--I know you're better than that.

BTW, i like that picture below in the previous post.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Miz JJ said...

I say no to censorship. Say what you want. I don't use the word, but I call my girlfriends bitches. It's funny to me and a term of endearment I use for my close girlfriends.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger NegroPino™ said...

Do u sweetie...Its your BLOG....if people don't like it, BLOG ON!!!!!Maybe u should put a disclaimer on it .....

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Jameil said...

HAHAHAHAHA!! nigger away! my mom doesn't like it so told her to stop reading... and she did. lolol

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger N4R said...

i try not to use the word but i do slip up. i never type it and you won't see it on my blog unless i am quoting someone. what i hate is when people say "the n-word" damnit just say it.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger feels good b n FREE said...

i hate when people say "the n-word" too

i don't know why..but ugh! it irks me!!!

 
At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sup cousin. I think u should use tha word nigga as much as ya want. I think it is a good word, that shows that we as a nation, have moved on from less fortunate times where segreation existed, and we can use a word derived from those times, and we can use it and not get mad, means we have moved on and left that part of our history behind us. Damn, that sounded intelligent ya feel me. But if u eva in memphis. holla at ya boy. I will sho ya how to get crunk and how we do it down south ya heard.

 
At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

O fuck, I didn't realize u were gay till I read that college is masturbation, well I read part of it. If u gay, don't holla at me if ya come to memphis. I am not down wit that shit, shit is nasty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home