web page hit counter [Rebellion Lies]: Black Comedy Holocaust

[Rebellion Lies]

The comedic, spiritual, and dramatic journey of an aspiriing young Black artist who has finally escaped the confounds of Hicktown, TX, USA to the opportunities that await him in Austin. But damnit if he still doesn't want out of Texas period!

5.19.2006

Black Comedy Holocaust


I know yall wanna kill me cause I haven't posted part two (don't worry, I promise I will)!But OMG! So much drama has just bombarded me, I am upside down. But let's not talk about that. Let's talk about how I hate Will Smith and Jada!

I blame them for the cancellation of my show Half & Half! That show had better ratings than the idiotic "comedy" All of Us, and yet I'm sure Will & Jada used their Hollywood weight to get their show picked up instead of Half & Half.

H & H had a diverse, talented cast and the plot was usually intelligent and fresh. Unlike the stereotypical All of Us (how many times do we have to see Niecy roll her neck??), H & H featured old characters, young characters, gay, black, white, Asian, Phillipino, mixed, and most importantly FUNNY dynamic characters.

H & H was the only black comedy to have a contracted gay character. And he was funny! My mom and I could relate to the show a lot, because of the divorce/sisters seperated/wife vs ex-wife with the kids stuck in the middle thing. The love/hate relationship between Big DeeDee and Phyllis was hilarious. An obvious throwback to the Patti LaBelle vs. Whitley's Mom on A Different World.

I have to admit, at first I hated the show. I don't remember why, but it didn't appeal to me. I think I was bitter about the cancellation of some other show but I don't even remember what it was now. Moesha? Probably. Anyways, the show has grown into a full fledged quality sitcom. With it's ratings RIGHT UNDER those of the #1 black comedy Girlfriends. It was even higher rated than the hyped up Everybody Hates Chris. With frequent appearances from Mc Lyte, Joey Lawrence (lookin so fuckin fine! OMG!), and others the show was consistent in its storytelling, much like the greatest black show of all time (in my opinion), A Different World.

Aside from the death of Half & Half, seeral other black comedies are meeting their fate. UPN's One on One, Eve, Cuts, Love Inc., and Fox's The Bernie Mac Show have all bit the dust in this recent holocaust of black comedy.

One on One deserved to die, honestly. The show was great at first, but kept getting more and more lost. Once you add Ray-Ject to the cast, place a big red X on the show and put it in the trash bin. Duh! They fired four essential cast members and added a bunch of one dimensional teeny boppers. Next!

Eve was another show that grew on me. It was so stupid at first but it grew into a hilarious show! Eve's hair looked disgusting most of the time, but the talented cast made up for that mess. The show also dealt well with gay issues, sending out the message that gay people deserve love and respect! Go Eve! You will be missed.

Cuts was a spin off from One on One featuring Flex's brother. It starred Marques Houston- red flag number one! He has not been cute since the days of Sister Sister and I wish he would never record another song again. The show was so niggerish that I barely ever watched it. Peace out to that shit, it deserved to go!

Love Inc. was a good show with a diverse cast. It was smart and fresh. It wasn't afraid to GO THERE and it did! It only got to last one season..such a shame. The cast and writing was really good. RIP!

Bernie Mac was getting tired, but it was soooooooo hilarious when it began. I don't have much else to say because I stopped watching it long ago, but it deserved a last episode.

All of these shows ended without a proper send off, and a lot of them even ended with a cliffhanger! That is no way to go!

Despite the black comedy holocaust, Girlfriends has survived! Thank ya Allah! That show is the truth. However, all the press releases have no mention of Toni (played by Jill Marie Jones). Is she leaving the show? I need to know! Because the cliffhanger has to do with her and that would be a mess if she didn't come back. A spinoff called The Game will be on, along with the dumbass All Of Us and Everybody Hates Chris (love it!).

In a way, I take the cancellations personally. It was always a highlight to record all the shows and then get in bed and watch all of them with my mom. With the death of these shows, comes the death of a years-long UPN-based tradition.

16 Comments:

At 7:05 PM, Blogger D-Place said...

I could do with out All of Us too. Except for looking at Duane Martin...why doesn't he take his shirt off more!

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

girlfriends was the only show worth watching on UPN besides ANTM. let's be honest, some of these shows were just plain niggerish. especially eve-just because she dealt with gay issues doesn't mean the show was any good- x you know there was a clothing designer or make-up artist begging her to include gays on the show- you know how they do not like to be left out!! LOL, i'm kidding, but that show and some of the others had to go...really.

but yeah, where in the world is Jill Marie-Jones? i heard that this was her first break in the biz. maybe she went on to better things? it would make sense that she jumped ship when the new season could very well be girlfriend's last.

i'm just glad that supernatural (WB) is coming back- that was my show!!


p.s.- this picture is the BEST i've seen golden H.A.M. aka golden brooks look in a while

 
At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm pissed they're taking Half & Half. That and Girlfriends was the only ish I watched on UPN.

I'm glad Cuts is goin tho!

Now how the hell All of Us is sticking around I do not know! That show is not conistantly entertaining at all. will and jada indeed had somethin' to do with that.

dumb ass WB/UPN merger...grrr!!!

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Rodney said...

I too lament the loss of H&H. When praising its diversity you failed to mention the tranny... Big Dee Dee. I thought it was so wonderful having a drag queen in prime time. Will we ever see another???

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger P said...

I was reading about this the other day.

I am not a HUGE fan of ANY of these shows, BUT:

Apparently, the 'new' CW, claims that they made their decisions stragetically and it had nothing to do with 'color'. However, I see that most of what is left from UPN (U People's Network), and the WB are the obvious shows:

- Girlfriends
- Veronica Mars
- 7th Heaven (I thought they had went on to Glory)

Not to say that there are NOT shows that deserved to get the AX - One on One being one of them. That one veered so far away from it's original concept it's pathetic. It grew from a loving father-daughter relationship to a show that concentrated on her living conditions at college. I don't expect things to remain the same but most of the time when you veer so much off center, that's when the show jumps the shark.

(Charles, I don't know if you have ever visited Jump The Shark - You would love that web site)

Everybody Loves Chris is too brillant for them to cancel; however, they are placing it at the 7pm hour ON SUNDAY, a place where No.One. is watching anything in particular and where the only consistent thing that comes on during that time is 60 minutes and Dateline NBC. Kiss of death which brings me to point three:

Bernie Mac was shifted around more than a five speed Gremlin car. It too, had the kiss of death. Plus it became a little TOO deadpan tongue in cheek for me.

Apologies for the long post.

Oh, and the Holly Robinson Peete show - I think it had potential, but considering UPN is generally a launching pad for negro-themed shows with thin premises, it was headed towards destruction as well.

 
At 5:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Co-Sign with a capital C! I think Half & Half was a really good show. The cast meshed well, the storylines were good and I love love love the snappy comments by Phyllis and Big Dee Dee!!!

All of Us was never that good. And I'm sorry but "Diamond" cannot act well enough to help carry a show. And I too believe Will & Jada used their H-wood power to keep the show on. One on One was cute the first coupls of seasons, but they fell off when they turned it into a teeny-bopper show.

I was big fan of Girlfriends from day 1. Maybe its cause I was a fan of Living Single and missed having a show ft. black women (although Living Single was much better). They were going downhill a bit with the writing but I held on. And if Toni isnt on Girlfriends, I wont be watching.

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Marz said...

UMMMM> ALLAH. WE're going to have to talk about your conversion to Islam. (alrighty then.)

I remember when One on ONe was the show. When Kyla was my wife in my head, and she was playing Sega in the first season. When Flex found the condoms with one missing. (Good times Good times.) I took it out to see what it looks like and then I blew it up like a balloon.

You know I can't really get down with JOan and her heifers. Well actually I can get down with the heifers, but you KNOW I can't stand that damn Joan.

Love INC was trash with abd jokes. ALl those actros are trying to get fame because they don't have any anymore. THe girl that played Zaria off of the PArent hood. ( That ws a good show.) Holly Robinson Peete don't need the money. She got a book out, and a football husband. She just gets bored breast feeding the babies and needs something to do.

WHY WAS CUTS CREATED?

Love Chris Rock's show.

UMMMM EVE???? Well I can say I liked her theme song, "She's the kinda chick that likes to look..." (You know you bout to get up and start dancing.) " Wears stillettoes but will get ghetto." (LOL)

UMM Bernie Mac is on Fox. And yes it has gone down since season one. (THE BEST SEASON YET.) But Bernie Mac did almost have a few heart attacks.


WHERE IS THE ANGRY POST ABOUT SECOND TIME AROUND BEING GONE. BORIS EVERY WEEK TIGHT CLOTHING AND THE SHOW WAS GOOD. PLEASE.PLUS THAT THEME SONG BY MACY GRAY, I LOVED IT.

I totally forgot the main point. H&H (LOL) UMMM. I didn't care for the show at first either. (Don't really care now.) But it's better than a lot of the shows and I'd chose it over All of Us anyday. (But I liked the theme song for all of us.) I say the only person keeping that show alive is Khamani, the cute little boy.


I NEED TO GET WORD ON TOP MODEL. I NEED TO GET WORD ON MALE TOP MODEL WITH BORIS, TYRESE, TYSON AS JUDGES. COME ON CW MAKE ME DREAM COME TRUE.

-Marz

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Cash S. said...

I'm sorry but All Of Us is horrible. That show should have got the AX!

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger SomeOne said...

I been stop watch all of us, it makes no since how tia left then came back, just to leave again.....now the divorcees are living together, the hell.....

half and half, i havent watched that in a minute.....are they having a series finale??

bernie, i liked the show but never knew when i was coming on....

glad girlfriends made the cut....i wonder want will happen with the friendships

and CUTS had to be CUT, that was some hot garbage...

One on One so it aint coming back on......Its some bullshit that briana won't sleep with someone she was with for years, but immediately fell in bed with Ray J's character...someone she wasnt even dating.......dumbish shit i ever seen


eve...i finally got in to watching it

but on the real more than half the black shows they put out there werent worth a damn....too many stereotypes, not enough funny....my tivo list has been filled to the brim with mostly white shows

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Miz JJ said...

I am pissed about this network merger. What a bunch of crap. Half and half was the only show I liked.

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger thee modern isis said...

Actually I liked half & half also, Eve was a show that I liked but drifted off and stopped watching. Girlfriends will forever be my show, however I am saddened at the fact Toni won't be on anymore. Love, Inc. was a funny show with a diverse cast.. even though Reagan played the "token ghetto girl". Cuts shouldn't even have started.. so all in all.. I'm with everyone else. I'm not liking this CW Network already.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Ty said...

I am glad that Girlfriends made the cut. They received a lot of backlash at the beginning but have done well despite.

I love Half and Half. I love it from the opening song by Melonie Daniels to the end. Boy, I love that song, even have it on my Zen.

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Superstar Nic said...

I love Half and Half to, even tho I don't watch it on a regular basis. Just like Ty, I lover their opening song to!

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger feels good b n FREE said...

*smh*
it's just a shame...
but those are the breaks i guess

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

i did not know all of these shows were being cancelled, even though i expected a few of them to with the new channel and all.

but H&H, wtf?

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Ya boy Maurice said...

Ive never watched the show but your taking it to heart the way I took the series finales of "The Cosby Show" and "The Fresh Prince."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home