Swing It, Ella

I always wanted to write a post about my musical tastes, and everybody's favorite blogger Clay Cane's new article inspired me to finally write it. Everyone, please open up your Limewires to chapter 6, verse 9, and get ready to download.
"Wrote a song about. Wanna hear it? Hear it go." (Sorry, En Vogue moment)
Anybody who knows me very well will know that my favorite singer is the lovely, beautiful, amazing, showstopping, never-fading Ella Fitzgerald. How high the moon? Does it touch the stars? If you haven't heard a word from Ella, check up on it! She has the best jazz voice, the best ballad voice, the best musical-number voice, shit- every motherfuckin' voice. And the good thing about loving her is that she has over 200 albums so you'll never run out of songs to listen to (don't listen to her 70's ish though, lawd, stick to the 30s-60's). It's a shame more people my age are listening to Ashan-man instead of real music. If you're feeling Ella, you'll also want to check out Billie Holiday, Frank Sinatra, and Sarah Vaughn.
Now can I say somethin? I'ma say somethin. I think black people are way too fixated on R&B/Hip Hop. Yes, even the old classic R & B! Black people (and other minorities) need to explore their musical horizons because there is so much other good music out there besides what's playin' on 87.9 The Beat!
Don't get me wrong, because I have much much love for classic R & B (Marvin Gaye [Distant Lover/Mercy Mercy Me], Patti [All This Love/You Make Me Feel], Stevie [For Once In My Life/My Cherie Amor], Al Green [Still In Love], The Stylistics, The Delfonics, EARTH WIND AND FIRE [don't get me started]!). But my favorite black artist from the 70's has to be Donny Hathaway. Yes, people, he has songs other than "A Song For You". Once again, check up on it.
But let's step away from the black arena of music for a minute. Let's discuss classic rock. Now classic rock is some good shit. You got Simon and Garfunkel,The Beatles,Bob Dylan, The Byrds, The Doors, the Mamas and the Papas, the Fifth Dimension (ok, the
y were black, though). Do not hate because they are white! Give it a chance. Then there's one of my personal favorites (don't laugh). The Carpenters. Karen's voice is so soothing and she is one white corny lady who can have some soul when she wants to. I'm always feelin' their records when I have to wake up early in the morning. Some good songs from them are Close To You, Masquerade (Luther covered this), and We've Only Just Begun. Good shit I tell you. Also, do not sleep on the screechin' drugged out bitch Janis Joplin. She tore shit UP! Some good ones from here are Work Me Lord, Son of a Preacher Man, and...shit I forgot my other favorite.Um, now I might be takin' yall a little farther than you wanna go with this next topic: today's indie music. You have Radiohead (Paranoid Android, Karma Police, The Arcade Fire (Rebellion Lies, Wake Up), Rilo Kiley (Does He Love You, Science Vs. Romance) and others. There is really too many good indie bands to name/ I don't have time for all that.
Please do not get me wrong. I loves me some (quality) R & B. But I am frustrated with seeing people my color only listening to shitty mind-numbing shit. You got to balance it out. Take some peas with that greasy-ass meat! Your arteries will thank you later.
I might come back later and add some more musical artists because I really listen to a lot more than what I've listed. I'm going to see Brokeback Mountain in a few hours, so the review for that will be up.
What's your musical tastes? Let Me Know!

11 Comments:
Good post...I'm all over the place. I love old school...Tower of Power, Friends of Distinction, Average White Band, EWF, Old Stevie Wonder, Donny, Marvin, still love Lionel...but I also loved the Go-Go's, Duran Duran, Culture Club, The Eurythmics, LOVE Daruis Rucker (the front man for Hootie & the Blowfish) a lot of people slept on his attempt on R&B...although I don't really think his CD can be called R&B. I love Vanessa Carlton and Nora Jones.
U need tah stop haten on Ashantee like dat cuz she makez good muzik. She wun awordz cuz she iz da bomb diggitay. Ppl alwayz hateen on her. Dam.
I will listen to anything that has a beat to it. I don't discriminate on music.(Unless it's really bad, or has no message, or a negative one.)
I am really on My Chemical Romance right now.
-Marz
LMAO @ ashan-man. i am going to whoop your ass.
tam, that is some good shit!
marz...-looks at you crazy- ok ok i admit to liking "helena" by them
im going to need some more input on this people! dont be ashamed... i know you like hilary duff...
jeff buckley is cool.
charles! I thought that I was the only black girl alive that was all over the place when it comes to music. Wow a black dude that likes rilo kiley and radiohead, will you marry me?
Hmm my taste, quite eclectic, very much like yours, from carpenters to chris issac, marvin gaye, nina simone, cold play, david gray, stevie wonder, luther, van Morrison, old school R&B, white stripes, staind, earth wind &fire, smokey robinson, curtis Mayfield, the list is endless, like a little of the new R&B stuff out now.
Check out the gorrillaz, they are hot!
kimkam, yeah we can get married if you pay my bills. i love me some rilo and radiohead!
@ nneka. yes, the gorillaz are very hot! damn i love most of the people you listed (gettin sick of coldplay) glad im not the only black person who likes the carpenters lol
Rent the Ed Sullivan Show with Ella and Sammy Davis Jr on it. You will love it!
I just stumbled across your page and I'm astounded! You are truly an old soul. Your taste and insight about music certainly belies your age. Karen Carpenter indeed! I'm listenin' to that skinny heifer right now. I definitely dig on the white children in the 70s. Billy Joel... Elton John... Carole King... Joni Mitchell is no punk either. I certainly understand your appreciation of Ella. She was certainly one of the great voices of the 20th Century, but the greatest is Sarah Vaughan. She too had some awful stuff in stuff in the 70s, but only because of the material and the arrangements. Her vocals were pristine to the end. She far surpasses Ella in musicianship and tone. Ella was, of course, more comercially successful, but you know that is no indication of greatness. Okay... I'm done. You've inspired me to do a Sarah post and also restored my hope for today's youth. I know they're not all like you, but one person can change the world. You're on your way.
Hot tip: Believe it or not... Dionne Warwick in the 60s. She was screaming in the name!
Post a Comment
<< Home