web page hit counter [Rebellion Lies]: Shrek Up On It

[Rebellion Lies]

The comedic, spiritual, and dramatic journey of an aspiriing young Black artist who has finally escaped the confounds of Hicktown, TX, USA to the opportunities that await him in Austin. But damnit if he still doesn't want out of Texas period!

2.26.2006

Shrek Up On It



Yes, I saw Madea's Niggerish Reunion this weekend.

My analysis is that Tyler Perry is too obsessed with the themes of the Color Purple and too often tries to insert them into his Madea works, but fails to do so gracefully. When people come to see Madea's Family Reunion they will expect a Madea-driven comedy about the dramas surrounding a family reunion. However, fans will be extremely disappointed to realize that Madea is marginalized for the faux-drama of three light-skinned beauties and the boring Boris Kodjoe.

Tyler Perry let his hormones (when casting the men) and superficialities (when casting the women) get the best of him when casting "hunks" and petite cuties in roles that didn't suit them.

The borrowed themes of abuse and rape are too glossed over and underdeveloped to deserve anything other than an eye roll. Instead of continually featuring some poor beauty who gets abused and then ultimately stands up for herself with Madea's "help", he could feature a story on the gay community he forsook for Jim Crowe Christianity all those years ago.

Despite the boring and trite drama Perry attempted to deliver, the Madea scenes were of course hilarious. While sometimes TOO over the top, Madea's colloquialisms and antics never cease to be funny. Tyler Perry is a hilarious woman! As a man, he bores me to tears, but I love him as an old ass woman.

All in all, the movie is imbalanced. Too much drama with boring characters, not enough Madea. Definitely not enough family reunion (which was totally ridiculous when it gets to the part with Maya & Cicely- WTF was that speech? Maya & Cicely are desperate!). I am proud of Tyler Perry for writing, directing, producing and starring in these movies as a young (gay) black man, but at the same time I cannot dismiss his lackluster attempts at good drama.

Score: $$$ [three out of five]

Recommendation: Cop the bootleg or watch it on HBO.

My New Job

I'm ready to go to bed, so I will tell some horror stories later, but basically my new job is to call my school's alumni and ask them to donate to the school. I work four hours three days a week, but I can go in on other days if I want to make extra dinero.

New Opportunity

I might try this Disney internship that's been presented to me. Basically what you do is work at Disney World for a semester and at the same time go to school. You can take classes and work in areas that pertain to your major. I have an interview tomorrow (Monday) at 7 p.m. (I arranged it so I could still see Girlfriends and Half & Half). If they like me from there, I have an audition on April 1st to enter the competitive entertainment department (acting in the Disney World plays, acting as Disney characters, ish like that). Sounds like fun and I'm ready to get out of Texas ASAP!

I'm tired as hell so I'm going to sleep early (1 a.m.) for once with my nocturnal ass. Peace.

14 Comments:

At 12:36 AM, Blogger D-Place said...

Good Luck with your interview!!!!

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger lj said...

So pretty much like his last movie. He will learn to make MADEA movie. well maybe not, the thing did make $30 million over the weekend.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger LUVIN ME said...

Awwww. I like TP.

Good luck on the interview! Texas can really be a drag at times. Soooo Slow!

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Marz said...

The Disney Program is really good. ( I have all this knowledge about it, because they're coming to my program thing.) I think once you graduate you can automatically start a job at Disneyworld making a good amount of money, and live in the park for free.

HMMM about Madea, I think the plays are better. I wish Boris would learn how to act as good as he looks. Maybe play a different role in his life than the perfect, rich, smart, sexy, phat-high assed, big d...oubled door sports car man. (LOL)



-Marz

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

at this rate i guess we can expect to see morris chestnut in tyler's 3rd movie.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Miz JJ said...

Tyler Perry grates because he is so clearly gay and will not admit it. I will not see his movies because I don't really think he's funny. Talk about coonin'.

I didn't even know Disney had that type of program. Sounds like it could be fun.

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Clay said...

i already wasted two hours of my life on diary of a mad colored woman and i could not endure that mess again. there is NO original thought in his work and the cult-ish Christian theme wears my soul to the edge of a cliff

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dang, u mean. And I was looking forward to that movie. Whatever, I'ma watch it anyway.

Me.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Bobby Brown Jr. said...

if you get it definitely do the disney thing. I did it (damn near 10 years ago whew i getting old) and it was one of the best expereiences of my life. but be careful b/c its very cultish. most of the people who do that program dont go back to school.its def a wonderful opportunity and the gays are plentiful down there. they even have a gay day at disney..how funny is that!

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger NegroPino™ said...

So he is Gay? I always wondered that. I seen the movie...Liked Diary of a Mad Black WOman way better. Old girl was overdoing it with the crying and I coudln't have been so easy going with moms like that but she was ILL when she was like "I VACATION THERE" when her daughter told her to go to HELL.......

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Rodney said...

I wholeheartedly agree with you about Family Reunion. Tyler Perry is definitely more interesting as a woman. The beefcake was DEFINITELY plentiful. And Cicely was REALLY over the top. She would have gotten booed at my family reunion.

Look at your job as a networking opportunity. You never know what kind of connections you might make. I encouraged all of my students to do phonathon this year.

My cousin just got back from the Disney program and he likened it to slavery, but admits that he had the time of his life. The culture shock alone was a major source of amusement. He learned that the people in southern rap videos really do exist.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Darius T. Williams said...

LOL - you're soo hating on Tyler Perry - nah, but I feel you though...there's nothing too original about the movie. I'm not sure there's supposed to be though. I did want to see more Madea though - we wanted to crack up.

Coming Into Reality,
-Jamal

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger MZPEACH said...

Clay is a trip..lol.
You are a riot Charles!..great review!

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Waddie G. said...

you got the review right! it was too gay to be true...yet it was funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home